Life's Legalities

Monday, November 10, 2003

Boring

I had a relatively boring time at the driving class today. It was supposed to start at 9, but started at 9:15 (for more on punctuality, please visit Ps. Sivin's blog) but I was ok with that. At about 10 something or 11 am, we went to try out the colour blindness test and this other test that assesses whether you can see 23 meters away. It took me maybe 5 minutes to finish that, and the rest of that half hour to 45 mins was spent waiting for everyone else to finish. During that time, I took the opportunity to watch Men In Black (the cartoon) on TV3 which they were showing for us waiting-people. After that, there was a 30-min break and then we started lectures again. By that time, I was sleepy, going to knock-off anytime soon. I did actually, have spates of a few seconds of sleep and then waking up again and making sure it didn't look like I was sleeping (which doesn't work in my law lectures, apparently as one lecturer mentioned to me personally) and with this gravitational pull for me to sit in front, that makes sleeping even harder to cover up. After that was another 30-min break and then the final lecture, which ended at 2:15 pm. By law, we are supposed to attend 6 hours of lecture (including the lunch break) but for a few reasons, that was not what happened. Firstly, since its Ramadan, lunch was only for non-Muslims and there weren't that many of them. I was even hesitating to drink water in front of the lecturer who had a dry throat from all the talking. So lunch break wasn't all that long. Secondly, the syllabus made for us to study is just not enough to fit the allocated 6 hours. If we did all the lectures one shot non-stop, I think I would be able to go home by 12 noon. But I must finally add that the people there are very nice. The lecturer understood the need for a bit of humour and did not disappoint on that note. They understood our patience and ensured that there was always TV to watch while waiting. They forgot to tell us where the toilets were, though, but I found out by walking one big round around the main building. And the lady that drove me (together with three others) to the lecture was a very nice lady who decided to send me straight home from the lecture, since she stayed near my place and she knows a friend of mine from HELP who is studying in Hong Kong now. Small world, I tell you. Small world. Anyway, that marked Day 1 in my quest. Will keep you informed as time goes on......