Life's Legalities

Saturday, December 13, 2003

Personal Vision Statement

I had a really good cell group (we're calling them "life groups" soon, I think) meeting last Friday. We went through a process of forming a Personal Vision Statement. There were some activities that we did in order to pick out what our interests, our passions and core values were. I did my statement and was quite surprised at how it turned out. Here it is: My vision is to defend, illuminate and resonate belief and truth into the justice system Its one of those activities where you find that the vision statement just "pop"s out and for me this was really surprising. Quite a confirmation, I must say, to some of the things that God has placed into my heart over the past two years especially having to do with my legal studies and an inclination to politics. Many things are still unconfirmed, but I feel that God is slowly opening me and preparing me to whatever He's got for me, and I'm not playing down the importance of the vision statement that was formed last night at the cell group meeting. Praise God. I've had an interesting birthday this year. This is the first time where so many people mistook my birthdate. One thought it was the 12th, and the whole Kemayan ATC CF thought it was on the 17th. That was really interesting. Anyway, the CF took me out for lunch today. At the restaurant, they sang the birthday song with a twist: "Happy birthday to (I stand up and say "me!" and then sit back down) Happy birthday to (I stand up and say "me!" and then sit back down) Happy birthday to (I stand up and say "me! me!" and then sit back down) Happy birthday to (I stand up and say "me!" and then sit back down)" That way, we got other restaurant customers clapping hands and having a good time looking at me make a fool of myself. You gotta do that once in a while..haha. For the last two sessions of class, we joined with a few other intakes and this CF friend from the July intake (I'm in the Sept. intake) told a few guys about my birthday. One of them actually almost went to write it up on the whiteboard in front of the class (another classmate's name had already gone up on the whiteboard because her b'day was today). Anyway, that was a nice gesture (and a funny one too). Someone came up to me to confirm whether I was born today just in case. And all these other fellas were strangers to me. Shows you how communal Kemayan ATC can be. Really, some of these guys are wonderfully cool and friendly. Actually, many of these guys are cool and friendly. I still get remarks that I'm too young. Am I? People think I'm older and then when i tell them I'm only 19, they look at me and suddenly I become their "little brother". Goodness. One sentence makes a whole difference. I've started asking friends (and their families) to come for my church's Christmas event. I asked one of my part time classmates (he's probably 30+ and with a wife and one-year-old daughter) to come for the event. I've also asked another part time classmate whom I'm trying to reach. He thinks I'm nuts to go to church on Sunday and forgo class when they clash. But I'll be praying hard for him (maybe interceding is the better word). He's receptive, I can sense that. There's another classmate and her family too, so my 25 tickets are slowly (but surely) being given out. I called another friend studying in TAR College and asked him to bring a friend along as well. I really feel proud to be part of the work of God in their lives, even if it costs me some money. This is my end-of-the-year evangelistic project, evangelism being something which I found quite lacking when I looked back at my resolution for 2003. But I'm praying hard that by the end of the year, I'll have more friends coming to know the Lord. I received an email from a friend in Cambridge who went for a church camp (with a senior, I think). He was really impressed with the fellowship of Christians and more so, their communion and relationship with God. He grasped the picture of Christianity, I believe. He did not convert, but I believe God's slowly moulding and changing him. All praise to the Big Guy. Another update on the Romans project. Officially, there are five people involved. I think one or two more will join. Don't worry, those who've contacted me or expressed willingness to join in will get an email from me soon. If you'd still like to join in, let me know. Deadline for "registration" is 20th December. In the meantime, I encourage those who've decided to take part to go through Romans. Just reading through it and familiarising yourself with the way Paul writes and the issues he covers. Because of the number of people joining and the "registration" deadline, the project might only start in January. That's a resolution for you right there! But anyway, also prepare yourself with prayer. Memorising Romans is a daunting task and only by the power of God can we do this. I'm looking at this whole project and the first picture that comes into my mind is climbing Mt. Everest. Its a daunting task, but with the help of God we shall be successful. The enemy won't like it, trust me. When we have the Word in our hearts and minds, we really are picking up our spiritual "sword", ready to wage war. We are in spiritual boot camp. And obviously, the enemy isn't happy. So pray, and pray hard. I'll be praying for all of you. Grace, peace and mercy to all of you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.