Life's Legalities

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Driving under the influence of Cantonese

Here's why I couldn't exactly get to coordinate the clutch and accelerator properly today: my instructor spoke in Cantonese. That's right. Cantonese. He couldn't speak in good English and I wasn't fluent in Mandarin, so for all God's intentions were, we spoke in Cantonese. That was as common as we could get, not that I'm that good in Cantonese either. But for all they were supposed to teach me today, I give him credit for explaining them as best he could. And I credit myself for being able to understand what he was saying. Praise God! I've officially done what it takes to get the "L" or "learner" license. Once that is processed, I can move on to do my driving practical work to get the probationary or "P" license. For now, I'm safe at home and all praise be to God! I actually knocked down one of those upright sticks during my 3-point turn practice but for the next two tries, I successfully did it. I'm still trying to get the hang of coordinating my brake, clutch and accelerator pedals. Most importantly, the clutch. But anyway, I applaud myself for a good first time drive. I think I was average, but hey, who's competing? I'm back to studies tomorrow, with tutorials in the afternoon. Oh, is there anyone game to memorise the whole book of Romans with me? Its my end-of-the-year project, but I bet it'll last me till next year as well. Well, if anyone is up for it, let me know. I'm using the NIV version. Starting tomorrow, I think. Well, that's about it for now. Keep the faith!