Life's Legalities

Monday, December 15, 2003

Of Mock Exams and Good Friends

Saddam Hussein has been captured. Big news. While world No. 1 terrorist Osama bin Laden is still missing, capturing Mr. Hussein must have a been a big boost to US forces in Iraq. Let's pray no one else dies from the bombings and retaliation still present in Iraq, especially in the Tikrit area. I'm listening to Planetshakers' newest album, My King. Pretty good stuff there. Got it as a b'day present. A good friend from Kuching (studies in Australia, now on holiday) called me up. He's in KL now, so I'll probably meet up with him, although the mock exams are around. Its the friends - studies debate. He asks me to think long term. I guess he's right to a certain extent. So I'll put less concentration on one of these days to accomodate a "meet-my-friend" session. But no skipping exams, that's for sure. I had a great time yesterday in pastor's house for a debrief on E03 by all the Power Games facilitators. We had a good time watching videos of our work (and some funny ones too) and an awesome time sharing about how God had worked in our lives through the conference and through our service in E03. Praise God. I was the youngest in the team and we only had two college students. The rest were working adults. So now I've got more big brothers and sisters in church. That's cool. One of the things that I've experienced and learnt the most which I will apply strongly in my life is really the whole idea of being champions: people who dream big dreams for God, who (at times with wisdom) will not take "no" for an answer and just really serve God the way He wants us to. Look at the story of David and Goliath - the champion of Israel versus the uncircumcised Philistine champion. Even the Bible regards Goliath as a "champion". But a champion for God surpasses all other "champions". I'm taking this into my CF. I find that to make the CF a powerful channel of God's purpose and blessing in the college, we all need to be champions. We need to step out from fear, take possession of the college and really seek God's hand upon it. I find Christianity an idea hard to grasp in a law school as compared to other fields of study. I think the main reason is because law students are trained to think in a philosophical manner and subsequently are "brainwashed" with lessons of utilitarianism and "all men are born good" ideas. Due to the stark contrast to the "original sin" belief that shows our need for Christ, most students shun Him. But in the long run, I'm praying and seeking God for unprecedented revival in college. The Bible, the authoritative Word of God, is superior to any secular philosophy and belief and at the end of the day, it stands amid all forms of opposition. When we fill our halls and classrooms with the Word of God in our mouths, it is undefeated, its truth undeniable. And by living and practising the laws enshrined in the Word, we become champions. We stand for the Word in order not to fall for the world. Godly ATC champions will know their swords real well. And with it, they willingly and boldly stand for Christ and win our college to Christ (one reason why memorising Romans is so important). I used to think I was nuts to have such dreams - revival and lawyers-to-be becoming Christians. I won't take "no" for an answer now, that's for sure. I'm looking at the pre-resolution proceedings taking place in my mind and I won't be leaving this point out. Imagine Christian lawyers flooding the market. Standards are raised, belief and truth are defended, illuminated and resonated within the justice system. Many will become politicians, judges and top notch criminal lawyers. With Christ, we can turn the Malaysian justice system around! After all, some of our best lawyers are ATC graduates and many more will continue to graduate from here and become successful lawyers. At the end of the day, one of the main lessons I picked out was this: I want to be a champion for God in my college. Furthermore, champions don't do work on their own. They "build champions" in other people. We are called to be an army of God, not individual warriors on our own path. I want to build champions in my CF. People passionate for lost souls, passionate for the Word of God, passionate in doing His will in the college. You want to see revival happen? Come to Kemayan ATC. I was brought here "for such a time as this". All glory to God. "Stand for the Word or fall for the world" - E03 Power Games PS: I've put up some pics of E03 onto webshots. I couldn't take so many because of my running around during the conference, but these are some of the ones I have. Treasure the pictures, because my digital cam has died. Unless someone wants to buy me a new one... hehe.. God bless