Life's Legalities

Sunday, December 28, 2003

Driving success

I am success-driven. Okay, that was not the best term to use, but hey, I'm getting the hang of the car. The instructor stopped halfway on the way to the circuit and asked me to take over. Driving on the road, I must say, is very simple. Of course, its good to have your instructor by the side, and the brake pedal with him too, but it was good to be able to feel the car very well. I drove the rest of the way to the circuit, where he taught me how to do the parking and slope tests. Then I went through the 3-point turn. I did these three manouvers three rounds and I think I've got the hang of it quite well. Then he asked me if I wanted to drive home. What more to end the day by saying "yes"! It was really cool, cause I also got to drive on the highway, and learn to manouver the car on the road. Of course, I only stayed on the slow lane of the road but it was all good. My next class on Wednesday will be on the road test. So I get to drive on the road more. By now, I think you can tell my excitement to get at the helm of the car. Feels good :) Two things were crucial in my success today. Firstly, God. Everything went well and all praise to Him. For the protection on the road, the ability to pick up what the instructor was saying, etc. Praise God! The other reason? My instructor. He spoke fluent English!! That was a real bonus for me, I managed to ask more questions, understand more and grasp what he was trying to explain. He was also very patient during all the times I stalled the car, but I'm picking it up well. Had time to talk with him while I was driving back about my law degree too. Cool, eh? And he'll be teaching me on Wednesday too, so no problem with the language barrier. Hallelujah! Really, all I needed to hear was when to use the clutch and when not to use it. After I understood, it was all easy going. The only time when the car stalls is when I forget either to release the brakes or if I released the clutch too fast. But no confusion whatsoever and I know my mistakes there and then. Well, good day today because I got to drive home. That was a real bonus..hehe Drive safely, people.